Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ocean of sound

"And to be renewed in the spirit of your minds," Ephesians 4:23
I love to listen to the ocean. The sound of crashing waves and seagulls playing on the sand is a very calming song to me. What I wouldn't give to be able to close my eyes and smell the salty sea air and listen to the rolling tide at any given moment.
The sounds that I am exposed to during the day are anything but calming. I am a school teacher. For seven hours out of my day, I am closed up in a room with various noises. Some are very loud, some are nothing more than an underlying hum. Nevertheless, quiet is NOT written into the daily lesson plan! By noon, I am drowning in a very large ocean of sound!
At the end of my work day, I climb the hill to my car and slide into the driver's seat. I drink in the silence like a tall glass of ice tea. And I assure you, I take the long way home!
Constant noise is kind of like water. When you are immersed in it for an extended amount of time, it can be hard to get it out of your ears. I wonder what life would be like for Christians if we swam in the sea of Christ on a daily basis. What if we immersed ourselves in His Holy Water for an extended amount of time each day?
I bet it would make it hard for us to get Him out of our ears!
Lord, push the noises out of my mind and allow me to fill myself with You!

No comments:

Post a Comment