Tuesday, February 14, 2012

i'm fine

I knew a lady once who was battling cancer. She wore a hat to work every day. Underneath her hat, she wore the most beautiful smile. Each time I saw her, I would ask her the same question, "How are you doing?" Without fail, her response was always the same, "I'm fine!" I knew she wasn't fine. Tired, anxious, pain-stricken, sick...maybe. But not fine. Still, I would politely accept her answer and allow her to move on.

Fine. You have to admit, it sounds much more appealing than:
Financially strapped
Bitter
Angry
Unforgiving
Dishonest
Sick
Tired
At the end of the rope
Frustrated
Busy
Strung out
Assuming no one wants to be burdened with the truth, we tend to stuff our true emotions under our hat and smile. I've done it. Many times. And I'd venture to say that you have too. The only problem is, God did not mean for us to shoulder our burdens alone.
"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2
Life is too difficult to walk through without the support of friends and family. "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity on the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
So, the next time someone you know takes the time to ask you how you're doing, before you respond, take your hat off!

No comments:

Post a Comment