Sunday, March 4, 2012

the fire

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life
I won't turn back, I know you are near
And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear? Whom then shall I fear?
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me
And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
A glorious light beyond all compare
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth
Yes, I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on
And there will be an end to these troubles
But until that day comes
Still I will praise You, still I will praise You!"
Church was awesome this morning. Our pastor delivered a sermon about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in Daniel chapter 3. The main point in the message was that these three guys were NOT alone in the fire. God walked with them through it, and not only did they make it out, they made it out unharmed and smelling fresh! To look at them, you would never know they had been in a furnace.
While I thoroughly enjoyed the service, the message I took home with me was a very different one. It is true that, at some point in our lives, we will find ourselves in a furnace. But unlike Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, there are some who will not walk out of the fire. At least not on this side of Heaven.
  • The parents of the child with special needs.
  • The wife of the man who was permanently injured in Iraq.
  • The man/woman who lives with a chronic, but not terminal illness.
  • The grandparents who are raising their grandchild because the mother/father chose not to stick around.

These are only a few of the people who wake up each morning, suit up in hazard gear and walk out the bedroom door to face the intense heat of their day. God is definitely with them, but the furnace they were tossed in to is a permanent one.

Is your name on that list? If so, you are tired. Maybe you feel like you are one breath away from suffocating in the fumes. Do me a favor and don't remove your mask just yet. The lyrics above, "Yes, I can see a light, that is coming for the heart that holds on. And there will be an end to these troubles, but until that day comes..." Those are for you! Your time on earth is hard, but there is a GLORIOUS light awaiting you at the end of this tunnel.

" No longer will there be anything accursed, but the Throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face and his name will be on their foreheads, and night will be no more. They will need no light of a lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever." Revelation 22:3-5

So, keep your suit on. Praise Him where you are and try to remember... the reward for your faithfulness will be well worth the flames you have had to endure!

No comments:

Post a Comment