Thursday, March 15, 2012

breathing treatment

"...but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up
with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not
faint." Isaiah 40:31
My little one year old nephew has been sick for a few days. Thankfully he seems to finally be on the mend, but he has to be given a breathing treatment every four hours. Tonight, I went over to show my sister and family how to administer the treatment. I have to say, it is not pretty! It's a very simple process, but it was difficult to hold him still AND keep him happy while the mask was attached to his face. Not fun! And who could blame him? He is being held against his will in a position that he is not at all fond of for what seems, to him, like an eternity. I hated to do it, but I knew that it was in his best interest.
There have been times in my life when God has had to hold me still, against my will. My most recent experience was when I was waiting to bring JP home from Guatemala. There were days when I felt like I was suffocating under the mask of stress. I didn't understand why in the world God didn't allow me to be with my baby. I was kicking and screaming beneath His grip. I tried my best to squirm out from under Him, but it just wasn't time to move on.
Does this describe you? Is God holding you at a place in your life that is not comfortable? I feel your pain. The mask is blocking your view, and you are tired. It helps if you just close your eyes and relax in His arms. It may seem like you've been in that position for an eternity, but try and remember that if He has you there, it is in your best interest!
Lord, help me to be patient and rest while You're holding me!

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, you have the gift of encouragement. Thank you doesn't seem like enough to tell you what your writings mean to me. Having been through the breathing treatments with both boys, this touches home even more for me.

    I am almost in tears at the conviction of this message. My heart is racing and I feel so "small" in God's greatness.

    THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, for showing me how to see God in EVERYTHING!

    In HIS love, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi, I am so glad that you enjoy reading the devotions. It means a lot to know that they speak to you. God is good like that.

      Delete