Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Shovelin' Dirt

My son, JP, loves to play outside. I love to sit on our porch steps and watch him run around the front yard. At some point, we usually end up playing a game of chase or hide and seek. Today, he wanted me to help him dig a hole in the dirt so that he could bury one of his toys. And by "toy" I mean a bundle of drinking straws. Don't ask! Being the lazy mom that I am, (after working all day), I protested. Being the persistent five year old little boy that he is, he won. He handed me a shovel and we began to dig. Once the hole appeared, JP threw the "toy" down and we covered it up. He was pleased.

I just stood there. No more hole. The ground looked as if it had never even been tampered with. No one would ever know that there was a toy buried beneath it's surface. If you were passing by, all you would see is dirt.

What do people see when they look at me? Would anyone ever guess that I had something, or in this case Someone, living beneath my surface? Or do I blend in with my surroundings. When we become children of God, He takes His shovel and cleans out all of our trash. He fills in the hole with His precious Son and covers us up with the Holy Spirit. A transformation takes place. We are different. At least we are suppose to be. That should be our goal.

When people cross our path, they should see more than just dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment