Sunday, June 24, 2012

crunchy taco shells

A few nights ago I enjoyed a much needed girl's night out!  In my absence, my husband made tacos for dinner.  He did well.  His only complaint was when he opened the box of taco shells, he found that most of them were broken.  Or at least cracked.  Later that evening, I told him that I was sorry the shells were not in one piece.  " It's okay," he said.  "It's not like you can tell from looking at the box."   

This is true.

And isn't this also true with people?  I cannot always tell by looking at someone what is going on with them on the inside.  I am a firm believer that God intended for us to have relationships with others.  One of my churches many motto's is, "Don't do life alone!"   I love that.  I cannot imagine what I would do without the love and support of my family and friends.  In this day in time, I can see how it can be difficult to make REAL friends.  With that in mind, allow me to offer some practical suggestions...

  • Get involved in a church:  I do not have the time, (nor the space), to list all of the reasons God intended for us to BELONG to a local church.  One of them, however, is so that we do not have to do life alone.  It is the perfect place to meet people and build relationships.
  • Find a hobby:  Get off the couch and find something you like to do!  Whether it's a sport, or a craft, figure out where your talent lies, (because you ARE talented), and tune in to that.  And then, your next step is to find others in your community who share your same interest.
  • Start a blog:  Before you snicker at this one, just hear me out!  I began my family blog five years ago when my husband and I were struggling through our adoption process.  At first, it was a nice past time.  A journal of sorts.  Then, one by one, I began meeting people through cyber-space who were traveling through identical trials.  To this day, I keep in touch with many of these families.  I have met several of them in person.  Because of our journeys, we will always share a common bond with one another.   And trust me, you do NOT have to be a gifted writer to begin a blog!  You will however find yourself blessed with the gift of lasting friendship. 
  • Get on Facebook:  I know, I know!  This one sounds pretty silly.  You do not have to look very far to find articles on how, as a society, we are too technologically dependant.  There is a small part of me that would agree with that statement, but a larger part of me strongly disagrees.  Like anything else, when in moderation, I am a strong believer in technological relations.  It is the same concept of the blog.  I have connected and reconnected with SO MANY people through Facebook.  It has served as a wonderful tool and outlet for me to express myself.  And gain friendship and support while doing so. 

These are just a few ideas that have helped me stay connected to those around me.  It just so happens that I have an outgoing personality.  Making friends has never really been a challenge for me.  Having said that, I know that for some, this can be very difficult.  In that case, take a deep breath.  Ask God to calm your spirit and guide you.  It is SO important that you step out of your box.

Especially if  you are broken on the inside.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, definitely something I needed to hear, I'm one of those people who have a hard time make friends because I'm quiet and shy.

    ReplyDelete