Thursday, January 19, 2012

where the heart is


The man answered, "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all
your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbor as
yourself.'" Luke 10:27

My husband and I adopted a baby boy from Guatemala in 2007. It was the most wonderful experience. There are not many things, in my mind, that compare to picking up that sweet Mayan package and welcoming him into our home! Having said that, waiting to bring him home was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. We spent his 1st Christmas with him when he was 4 months old and then had to leave him for 6 months. During that time, I literally felt like I was missing a piece of my heart. It was hard for me to focus and function from day to day. I was not complete.

I believe that God uses our life experiences as a classroom for His teaching. As I look back on that particular semester in my life, I am reminded of the invaluable lesson He taught me about the heart. God is not interested in having only a PART of my heart. He wants ALL of it. Just as I did not feel complete until my son was home with me, our relationship with Christ will never be complete if our hearts are not completely surrendered to Him.

Lord, this was not a class I would have signed up for on my own. The assignments were difficult. Sometimes painful...but I am very thankful for what I learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment