Tuesday, January 3, 2012

sweetheart, you're not obeying...

"Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the
right thing to do." Ephesians 6:1 (NLT)
I've mentioned before that I have a five year old son. While he is certainly the light in my life and the best part of my day, at times, he DRIVES ME UP THE WALL! I try really hard not to raise my voice at him. (Somewhere in the distance, I can hear my mother and husband chuckling!) But I really try! If I said it once today, I said it a thousand times, "Sweetheart, you are not obeying!" Each time I said this to him I, of course, recited the verse in the bible that says, " Children, obey your parents.."
As parents, we wind up and pitch that verse to our children as if it doesn't apply to us! We are, in fact, God's children. How often do we obey Him? I know, in my own life, I struggle with this. I don't have trouble obeying the "important" commands. It's the day to day whispers that I tend to ignore. So, as I tucked my child into bed tonight I thanked God for my son's life. I prayed that he would grow up and make good choices. I prayed that he would listen to the grown ups in his life who love him. I prayed that he would have a kind, sweet spirit and obey.
Now, as I sit here alone, I have to wonder how many times during my day God is looking down on me and thinking, "Sweetheart, you are not obeying.."
Dear Lord, thank you for reminding me that, as your child, I have an even greater responsibility to obey you. Forgive me my failures and shortcomings. Help me to set a good example for the child you have entrusted to me. I am so thankful for your mercies...

No comments:

Post a Comment