Monday, April 30, 2012

you are a cargiver

"Don't do it!  Don't wake up!  Please stay closed..."   Does this sound familiar?  If you've ever been awarded the job of caregiver, you have possibly whispered these words to the back of your eye lids before waking up each morning.  It's not really because you don't want to wake up.  It is because you know that once your feet hit the floor, you are on GO!  And with very little time to breathe.


You are a caregiver.  Most days you love your job.  Besides, what better way to fill the hours in your day than to care for someone you love.  There are many different types of circumstances that shift you into the role.


Maybe...

  •  there was a car accident and a friend or family member didn't walk away unharmed.
  •  your spouse or significant other is poisoned with a chronic illness.
  •  you are helping to raise your grandchildren.
  •  the child God blessed you with has special needs.
  •  your loved one made it home from the war...just not in one piece.


Whatever the reason, the outcome is the same.  You are a caregiver.  And you are tired.  Depending on how long you've held the title, you might be frustrated.  Allow me to toss a little encouragement your way.


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”  Matthew 11:28


"My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”  Exodus 33:14


“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”  Psalm 73:26


“Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.”  Psalm 61:1


“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”  Isaiah 40:28-31



I know it's not easy.  I've been where you are.  And the fact that you love the person you are caring for on a daily basis doesn't change the reality that you cannot feel your legs when you FINALLY crawl into bed each night. 


I hate it when people say,  "God will never give you more than you can handle."  Not only is that not true.  It's simply not biblical.  What IS true, however, is that God will not put more on you than HE can handle.  And He can handle anything! 


Remember, if you are a child of God, He is walking with you throughout your day.  And He cares for your loved one more than you do...


So, sit down, close your eyes and take a deep breath.  Now, ask your Father to help you.   I promise you He will!











No comments:

Post a Comment